Monday, January 15, 2007

food network confessions

on most any lazy saturday or sunday afternoon, you'll find me curled up on the couch knitting and watching food network. i get lots of great ideas from the food network. i'm actually starting to think i'm really developing an addiction to food network. more and more often, it's not enough to just watch the shows. i actually feel compelled to try the recipes.

my three favorite shows--which are also the ones i've tried the most recipes from--are barefoot contessa, rachel ray's 30 minute meals and everyday italian with giada de laurentis. i also really like ace of cakes, but it's more american chopper in the kitchen than a show you can actually try in your own kitchen. i actually own cookbooks from barefoot contessa (confession: i've had hers for years--before she had a food network show. the photos are beautiful, it's more like a coffee table book) and rachel ray 30 minute meals 2.

the thing i love about these shows and cookbooks is they put together flavors i'd never think to. one of my favorite appetizers is from giada's show, honey & gorgonzola bruschetta. sounds weird, but it's so yummy and always gets rave reviews. yesterday afternoon giada had a recipe for cinnamon butter gnocchi on her sweet and savory episode. again sounds weird, but i typically like gnocchi and i love cinnamon butter so i thought, 'why not?'. so tonite, i bought some gnocchi and cooked it, made the cinnamon butter and tossed the gnocchi in it. and the weird thing is, i can't decide if i like it. i didn't hate, i didn't love it. i really just can't decide. so, if you work with me, i'm bringing some to the office tomorrow. you can try it and tell me what you think since i really think i need a second opinion.

2 comments:

EYouthWNY said...

Hurray for Food Network.

I have to confess, I have a crush on Giada. Plus I love her cooking too. I watch Barefoot Contessa although every time I watch it I have the same thought "Are ALL her male friends gay?"

Racheal Ray's voice just grates on my ear. Can't listen to her.

I like Bobby Flay (cuz I love barbecue) and Micheal Chiarello.

The shows usually gives me ideas of my own. I did a steak strips in mole sauce over a puff pastry the other day that was inspired by a couple different recipes. Very nice.
Peace
Jay

'neice said...

I LOVE the FN and yes, it can be addicting. I try recipes all the time with some pretty good success and when I am house sitting where there is no cable I'm bummed.